Thursday, November 11, 2010

No words can express

SO last night I sat here on my computer trying to write this blog, I wanted to express my feelings and respect for those men and women who have devoted their life to the military. I was imposable for me to put it down on words on how I feel. I am the son, Grandson, and Great grandson of a Veteran. I grew up in the Military and know I could never do what they do. I am too stubborn and well lazy some days, for those men and women who have given their time and in some cases their life for my freedom I honor you.
I would like to share with you a story I blogged about on facebook some months ago and I wanted to share it again with all of you. Around three years ago I was thinking of my father who passed away when I was twelve years old. I some days think of what my life would have been like if he had lived, I am not sure if it would have been better or worse as what I did in the past is what made me who I am today. My family lived in Holland for many years as my father served in the Air Force, at a small base called Amsterdam airbase. I came across a website dedicated to the men and women who had spent time at this base and that it would soon be closed for good. I was excited to see photos of those who had once served there so I began looking at them with a small hope of coming across one of my father. I do not have many photos of him and cherish the ones I do have.
As I browsed the website and saw places that I remembered I came across a photo of a painting my father had done. My father loved art and had been drawing and painting since he was a very young boy. The excitement of finding not only this picture but to see his name listed under as the artist was more than I could have hoped for. I sent an email off to the webmaster and asked about the panting, not really hoping to get a response back I let it go for the night. To my surprise the very next day I received an email back, the man said he knew of the painting and had seen it himself but was sure it had followed the wolf pack (the air squad name) to Germany. He gave me the name of the base and wished me luck.
After some research I found a contact name and sent this email.
“Hello, my name is Tom Carr my father served in the Air Force many years ago with the Wolf Pack at Amsterdam air base. Sadly he passed away when I was twelve years old, I happen to see a photo of a painting he had done for the base commander back in 1976 and was wondering if you could tell me if this painting was still around.
Thank you for your time
Tom Carr
A son of a lost father”
I again had a small hope that I would get a response, but yet again no more than a day later I received a response back.
“Dear Mr. Carr
Thank you for your request about your fathers painting, in fact I know this panting and it still hangs on the wall. It has become a sort of tradition for pilots to throw a dart at the painting before they leave for a flight. We would be honored to return this painting to you. We would first like our art department to make a copy so we could still honor your father and your loss.
Thank you”
This painting now hangs in my home, and is one of the two only pieces of art I have of my father. I have always known that those in the Military take care of their own, but I now know they have more honor than even I though. To serve in the armed forces is not just a nine to five job, these men and women do not spend two or twenty years defending our freedom but they are always a part of that defense and will be willing to stand up again. I honor those men and women today and I would hope everyone takes a minute to remember those who are now fighting for our freedom. Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment